Learn how to implement a Xilinx PCI Express® core in custom applications to improve time to market with the PCIe® core design. The focus is on:
- Constructing a Xilinx PCI Express system within the customer education reference design
- Enumerating various Xilinx PCI Express core products
- Identifying the advanced capabilities of the PCIe specification
Release dateDecember 2014
Training duration2 days
PriceUSD 1600 or 16 Training Credits
Course Part NumberCONN-PCIE
Who Should Attend?
- Hardware designers who want to create applications using Xilinx IP cores for PCI Express
- Software engineers who want to understand the deeper workings of the Xilinx PCI Express solution
- System architects who want to leverage key Xilinx advantages related to performance, latency, and bandwidth in PCI Express applications
- Experience with PCIe specification protocol
- Knowledge of VHDL or Verilog
- Some experience with Xilinx implementation tools
- Some experience with a simulation tool, preferably the Vivado simulator
- Moderate digital design experience
- Vivado Design Suite 2020.2
- Architecture: UltraScale™ and UltraScale+™ FPGAs
- Demo board: Kintex® UltraScale FPGA KCU105 board
Skills gainedAfter completing this comprehensive training, you will have the necessary skills to:
- Construct a basic PCIe system by:
- Selecting the appropriate core for your application
- Specifying requirements of an endpoint application
- Connecting this endpoint with the core
- Utilizing FPGA resources to support the core
- Simulating the design
- Identify the advanced capabilities of the PCIe specification protocol and feature set
- Course Introduction
- Xilinx PCI Express Solutions
- Connecting Logic to the Core
- PCIe Core Customization
- Lab 1: Constructing the PCIe Core
- Packet Formatting Details
- Simulating a PCIe System Design
- Lab 2: Simulating the PCIe Core
- Endpoint Application Considerations
- PCI Express in Embedded Systems
- Lab 3: Using the PCI Express Core in IP Integrator
- Application Focus: DMA
- Lab 4: Exploring Xilinx DMA
- Design Implementation and PCIe Configuration
- Lab 5: Implementing the PCIe Design
- Root Port Applications
- Debugging and Compliance
- Lab 6: Debugging the PCIe Design
- Interrupts and Error Management
- Course Summary
- Lab 1: Constructing the PCIe Core – This lab familiarizes you with the necessary flow for generating a Xilinx Integrated PCI Express Endpoint core from the IP catalog. You will select appropriate parameters and create the PCIe core used throughout the labs.
- Lab 2: Simulating the PCIe Core – This lab demonstrates the timing and behavior of a typical link negotiation using the Vivado simulator. You will observe and capture transaction layer packets.
- Lab 3: Using the PCI Express Core in IP Integrator – This lab familiarizes you with all the necessary steps and recommended settings to use the PCIe solutions in an IP integrator block design.
- Lab 4: Exploring the Xilinx DMA – This lab familiarizes you with all the necessary steps to set up and perform DMA transfers.
- Lab 5: Implementing the PCIe Design – This lab familiarizes you with all the necessary steps and recommended settings to turn the HDL source to a bitstream by using the Tandem configuration mode.
- Lab 6: Debugging the PCIe Design – This lab illustrates how to use the Vivado logic analyzer to monitor the behavior of the core and a small endpoint application for proper operation.
Please download the respective PDF of your course: *
* The course version can be found in the training registration form