This 2-day online course is designed to bring FPGA designers up to speed on developing embedded systems using the Vivado Design Suite. Lectures and labs cover the features and capabilities of both the Zynq All Programmable System on a Chip (SoC) and the MicroBlaze soft processor, as well as general embedded concepts, tools, and techniques. The hands-on labs use the Digilent ZYBO Zynq™-7000 development board and provide students with experience designing, expanding, and modifying an embedded system, including adding and simulating a custom AXI-based peripheral using bus functional model (BFM) simulation. The Xilinx Zynq All Programmable SoC enables a new level of system design capabilities over previous embedded technologies and this is highlighted throughout the course.
Release dateMay 2015
LevelEmbedded Hardware 3
Training duration2 days
PriceUSD 1800 or 18 Training Credits
Course Part NumberEMBD-HW-HDT
Who Should Attend?Engineers who are interested in developing embedded systems with the Xilinx Zynq All Programmable SoC or MicroBlaze soft processor core using the Embedded Development Kit.
- FPGA design experience
- Completion of the Essentials of FPGA Design course or equivalent knowledge of Xilinx ISE software implementation tools
- Basic understanding of C programming
- Basic understanding of microprocessors
- Some HDL modeling experience
- Vivado Design or System Edition 2015.1
- Architecture: Zynq-7000 All Programmable SoC and 7 series FPGAs
- Demo board: ZYBO Board
Skills gainedAfter completing this comprehensive training, you will have the necessary skills to:
- Describe the various tools that encompass a Xilinx embedded design
- Rapidly architect an embedded system containing a MicroBlaze or Cortex-A9 processor by using the Vivado IP Integrator and Customization Wizard
- Develop software applications utilizing the Eclipse-based Software Development Kit (SDK)
- Create and integrate an IP-based processing system component in the Vivado Design Suite
- Design and add a custom AXI interface-based peripheral to the embedded processing system
- Simulate a custom AXI interface-based peripheral using a bus functional model (BFM)
- Embedded Design Overview
- IP Integrator and the PS Configuration Wizard
- Lab 1: Hardware Construction Using the Vivado IP Integrator
- Software Development Using SDK
- Lab 2: Adding and Downloading Software
- Introduction to AXI
- Adding Hardware to an Embedded Design
- Lab 3: Adding IP to a Hardware Design
- Designing a Custom AXI Peripheral
- Using the Create and Pacage IP Wizard to Build a Custom AXI Peripheral
- Lab 4: Building Custom AXI IP for an Embedded System
- Bus Functional Model Simulation
- Lab 5: BFM Simulation - AXI Peripheral
- MicroBlaze Processor Basics
- Zynq All Programmable SoC Processor Basics
- Lab 6: Testing Custom AXI IP on Hardware
- Managing Embedded System Design Projects
- Lab 7: Integrating a Custom Peripheral
- Lab 1: Hardware Construction Using the Vivado IP Integrator - Create a project using the IP integrator to develop a basic hardware system and generate a series of netlists for the embedded design.
- Lab 2: Adding and Downloading Software - Continuing from a completed hardware system, begin software development using the SDK tools to create a software BSP and sample application. Download and run the application.
- Lab 3: Adding IP to a Hardware Design - Add IP to an existing processing system. Configure the device and download the application.
- Lab 4: Building Custom AXI IP for an Embedded System - Add a custom AXI peripheral to the Vivado IP catalog using the Create and Package IP Wizard.
- Lab 5: BFM Simulation - AXI Peripheral - Test custom IP via bus functional model (BFM) simulation.
- Lab 6: Testing Custom AXI IP on Hardware - Use debug cores and the Vivado hardware manager to test custom IP.
- Lab 7: Integrating a Custom Peripheral - Add the custom IP created in Lab 4 to an existing processor system.
Special CommentsThe course price includes the Digilent ZYBO board. The board is yours to keep after the training is completed.
Please download the respective PDF of your course: *
* The course version can be found in the training registration form