Hardent’s VESA DSC (VESA Display Stream Compression) IP portfolio offers customers ready-made solutions to accelerate product development.
As consumer demand for ultra-high-definition display products grows, designers are faced with many system design challenges associated with handling increased video throughput. The VESA DSC standard offers a compelling solution for enhancing display resolution up to 8K for a number of applications without having to compromise on display quality, battery life, or cost.
What Does VESA DSC Offer?
- Visually lossless picture quality for all types of content
- Increases data transport capacity by up to 3X
- Compatible with major transport standards including MIPI DSI, DisplayPort 1.4, and HDMI 2.1
- Ultra-low latency performance
- Scalable display resolution, frame rate, and colour depth – up to 8K @ 120Hz with HDR
- Reduces power consumption, system costs, and EMI
Where Can DSC Be Used?
VESA DSC was originally utilized by smartphone and tablet manufacturers; however, with the emergence of new display-based products, such as augmented- and virtual-reality (AR/VR) headsets, as well as display technology advances in areas such as the automotive industry, video compression is now being used across a wide range of applications. Whether it be the challenge of dealing with faster frame rates for AR/VR applications, or the simultaneous transport of multiple video sources for in-car video systems, DSC compression can be used to support higher resolution displays across a range of different applications. Read more about VESA DSC use cases in our SID Journal article.