To coincide with the release of three brand-new Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC training courses from Xilinx, this week on the blog we are taking a closer look at the capabilities offered by the Zynq family and offering a quick introduction for developers starting out with Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ devices.
What is the Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC?
The Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC (ZynqUS+) is an evolution of the existing Zynq 7-Series (Zynq7) device and a cutting-edge addition to Xilinx Zynq All Programmable technology. ZynqUS+ starts by taking all the qualities of the Zynq7 device and making them better; it adds several unique features that target enhanced security, reliability, and power management. For example, ZynqUS+ continues to provide a single device that tightly integrates a processing system with programmable logic, but now does so with multiple heterogeneous processing units, including a Cortex-A-based application unit and a Cortex-R-based real-time unit.
What are some of the key features of the ZynqUS+ MPSoC?
- 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 application processing unit
- 32-bit dual-core ARM Cortex-R5 real-time processing unit
- ARM Mali-400 MP2 graphics processing unit
- Video codec unit
- Dynamic power management
- High-speed connectivity
Which markets does the Zynq US+ MPSoC target?
- Aerospace and defense
- Data center communications
- Wired communications infrastructure
- Wireless infrastructure
Is hardware available for the Zynq US+ MPSoC?
Hardware is currently not widely available, but this does not have to be a barrier to getting started with Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ devices. For example, the QEMU emulation platform can be used for embedded software development. For more information on QEMU, check out our tutorial on how to use PetaLinux tools to deploy Xen hypervisor and Linux on the Zynq US+ MPSoC.
What Zynq UltraScale+ training options are available?
Three brand-new Zynq US+ MPSoC training courses were released in February 2016. Taught by certified Xilinx trainers, these courses enable system architects, software developers, and hardware designers to understand the key capabilities of the Zynq US+ MPSoC family.
- Zynq US+ MPSoC Training for the System Architect: A two-day course structured to provide developers or system architects with an overview of the architecture and capabilities for the Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC family.
- Zynq US+ MPSoC Training for the Software Developer: A two-day course designed to provide software developers with a catalog of implementation options, including hypervisors, embedded Linux, and power management firmware for the Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC family.
- Zynq US+ MPSoC Training for the Hardware Designer: A one-day course structured to provide hardware designers with an overview of many of the capabilities and support for the Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC family from a hardware architectural perspective.
The following documents from Xilinx provide some key resources for developers starting to use the Zynq US+ family.
- Zynq US+ MPSoC Technical Reference Manual
- Zynq US+ MPSoC Product Brief
- Zynq US+ MPSoC White Paper
- UltraScale Architecture and Product Overview
Need to quickly get up to speed with the Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ family? Contact our training team to find out more about Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC training options!